Denel Aviations Engineering & Flight Test Centre is a well-established capability with access to best tools and standards with internally developed integration benches for ground testing of aircraft systems. Through this business unit, Denel Aviation employs exceptionally well trained aircraft Test Pilots and Maintenance Test Pilots for both the Fixed Wing and Helicopter platforms in addition to operational pilots.
Over the years Denel Aviation has integrated functional roles and complexities of both operations and testing seamlessly to produce an organisation that is flexible, agile and able to adapt ensuring delivery to customers whilst meeting both the required design and operational parameters. It has a collective 200 000 hours and more of operational flying, across aircraft types with an impeccable safety record. This in itself is a phenomenal achievement taking into account that the majority of flying has been done in testing of new, untested systems close to the aircraft performance envelope.
Operation adjacent to OR Tambo International Airport with direct access to its runways places Denel Aviation in an ideal location. The facility is at an elevation of 5500ft above sea level and summer temperatures reaching 30?C, the capability offers unique for hot and high testing of rotary and fixed wing aircraft. Flight testing can also be supported from other sites including the Denel Overberg Test Range (DOTR) based in the Western Cape Province of South Africa.
- Airworthiness and aerodynamics for continued airworthiness
- Avionics and weapons systems engineering for aircraft upgrades
- Software engineering for airborne software
- Integrated logistic support (ILS)
- Reliability, availability, maintainability (RAM) engineering
- Information management (configuration management, technical publications and libraries)
- Flight testing for development and maintenance:
- On-board instrumentation and recording capability
- World-class test pilots and flight test engineers
- Proprietary airflow analysis software
- CAD design and development tools
- Systems and software engineering facilities
- Embedded software development laboratory, including hardware in the loop simulators for helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft. Class A Certified secure software development environment compliant with RTCA/DO-178B
- Real-time data processing, formatting and display through open network data system
- Mobile telemetry support of flight tests at remote sites
- Full photographic and video facilities
- Design, manufacturing and installation of flight test instrumentation
- Support for aircraft modifications from Denel Aviation Design and Manufacturing organisations.
- Pre-flight calibration of flight test parameters traceable to national standards, with all documentation under configuration control.
Civil Aircraft Operation
Based on the company’s extensive knowledge of aircraft and its capability gained in a military environment over years, Denel Aviation has established a civil aircraft operations business unit. With this capability, the company can deploy resources to assist customers with operation of own aircraft (owner/operator) and also offer maintenance support. With access to comprehensive skills sets, the capability is not confined to a particular aircraft type but rather solutions driven.